Let me preface this by telling you all that I am by no means a health guru, but I’ve expanded my knowledge quite a bit over the past few years in the health and fitness realm. Full disclosure – if someone suggests pizza, mac n cheese, wine, booze, cookies, tacos, etc., I will absolutely join them in the passenger seat on their journey of poor nutritional decisions. I believe in taking care of your body, but, just as importantly, having fun in life. I know it’s the thing for all women to have a poor self image, but I think I look pretty damn okay. This quote sums it up perfectly to me…
With that being said…here are my favorite guilt-free eats!
- Len & Larry’s Complete Cookies… These are great for when you are craving something sweet, but want to keep yourself on track and get a little protein in in the process! Pop half a cookie in the microwave for 10 seconds and you have a warm, delicious, healthy alternative to regular cookies, which have tons of mystery additives. Don’t be fooled though – one serving size is HALF a cookie, not the whole thing.
- StarKist Tuna Creations… Let me just say that I thought I disliked tuna, until I tried these awesome flavors! They are fast, easy, portable, healthy, and yummy. I typically put a packet on top of toast with avocado or, my new favorite, on top of a sweet potato with some cheese. My top 3 flavors are Honey BBQ, Thai Style, and Buffalo.
- Sweet Potatoes… I LOVE sweet taters! They are so easy to cook and versatile – regular baked, fries, home fries, chips. Not only that, but they are also packed with nutrients.
- Avocados… I would say that this is my latest and greatest obsession. Avocados are creamy and delicious, filled with healthy fats! On toast, as guacamole, any which way, it’s amazing! It can also be used as a substitute for mayo and even when baking.
- Arctic Zero… This is my go to when I see my fiance eating Ben & Jerry’s and I desperately want to join him. It certainly isn’t as good as real ice cream, but the WHOLE PINT has like 130 calories, so I don’t feel guilty eating the entire thing. The only flavors I’ve had so far are Mint Chocolate and Cookies & Cream, but I hope to try some of the ones above.
- Quest Bars… Magically delicious, especially the cookies and cream and cookie dough flavors. One of the things I look for in a protein bar is high protein (obviously), but low sugar. These have 2 grams of sugar usually, which is fricken’ perfect, BUT they use artificial sweeteners, which I’m convinced will give you cancer at some point.
- Chicken Sausage… Apple gouda is the best!! These are what I grab when I want something savory, but don’t want a bunch of unhealthy fat attached. With only 100 calories per sausage, I usually have 2 – om nom nom.
- Broccoli… I know this is a boring one, but I heart broccoli. Oven roasted with garlic, lemon, and some seasoning is my number one. My latest habit is putting it in my scrambled eggs! So yummy!
- Almond Milk… I have mixed feelings about almond milk, but it still made my list and here’s why! First, it has less calories than milk. Second, it has more calcium than milk. Third, it is a good alternative for those of you who are lactose intolerant (which I am not). Lastly, it is GREAT in smoothies/protein shakes. Here’s my qualm with almond milk – the consistency. I’m not much of a milk drinker, but, every once in a while, I will have a small glass with my complete cookie. I will not have a glass of plain almond milk alone because it just doesn’t have the same texture/taste as milk to me. I still have fond feelings for it though and it can stay on my list.
- Chick Peas… Mysterious little things. Chick peas made it at number 10 because of HUMMUS – so many flavors, yum! Great on egg sandwiches, toast, Triscuits, baked chicken, and so much more. Good source of protein too! Another tasty, cheap, healthy snack is roasted chick peas tossed with salt, pepper, and olive oil.